Pecan and Hazelnut Granola Recipe
I always make granola at home, it’s one more of the bites I have with my coffee while working, or I mix with yoghurt and fruits for a second breakfast. This granola recipe is quick and easy to make, you can experiment with it and change the spices, nuts, seeds or sugar syrups to what works best for you. Granola is a healthier snack and its great to carry on a small box and keep in the office or for the kid’s lunchbox, to have an extra energy bite. Check also the date and nut energy balls here!
I have granola bites almost every day so and to keep things interesting I experiment with different toppings. For this recipe and video, I have used 3 different toppings, grated coconut, mixed dry fruits (raisins, pineapple, papaya) and dark chocolate. Try out different ones but remember to add them just for the last 5 minutes of baking, especially if you are adding dry fruits. This was the first time I add egg white to the granola, it worked very well binding it since I have reduced the quantity of oil used. I’ve tried also other sugar syrup variations with agave nectar and molasses but this one works better for me.
Granola Recipe Video:
- 300 g Oats
- Spices: 1tsp cinnamon, 1/2tsp cardamom powder, 1/4tsp ground ginger, 1/8tsp ground nutmeg
- 70 mL Maple syrup
- 20 g honey
- 20 g golden syrup
- 100 g mixed seeds: sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, golden linseed
- 50 g mixed nuts: hazelnuts and pecan nuts
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp egg white lightly whipped
- Grated coconut, mixed dried fruits I used raisins, papaya and pineapple, and dark chocolate pieces to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180º.
- In a bowl mix well all the dry ingredients.
- Add the coconut oil, maple syrup, honey, golden syrup and egg white and mix well.
- Transfer to a lined baked tray and bake for 20 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Add the toppings and bake for 5 minutes more.