Chilled Cucumber Dill Mint Soup with Feta and Red Onion
This cold cucumber dill mint soup with feta and red onion recipe is the perfect summer cooling. The superb pairing of cucumber, Greek yoghurt and fresh herbs in a super easy and quick recipe, ready in just 10 minutes but best served chilled for 8 hours or overnight. I served this chilled cucumber soup with a slice of toasted homemade sourdough rye bread and garnished with fresh herbs, crumbled feta cheese and marinated red onions. Not a fan of dill and mint? you can easily use other herbs of your choice such as parsley and or tarragon.
I’ve also added a couple of stalks of celery and its leaves, celery pairs well with dill and it is packed with health benefits including helping in digestion and aiding in weight loss due to its fibre content. Please share in the comments your variations to the chilled cucumber soup or any other garnishes you have tried.
Chilled Cucumber Dill Mint Soup with Feta and Red Onion Recipe:
(Makes 4 bowls)
- 2 Cucumbers
- 1 Celery stalk
- 1 Garlic clove peeled
- 1/2 Shallot peeled
- 1/2 Red Onion peeled
- 300 grams Greek Yoghurt
- 50 grams Feta cheese crumbled
- 1/2 Lemon juiced
- 4 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil + extra for garnish
- Apple cider vinegar
- Wash the cucumbers, then cut a small piece off from both the ends and rub the cut pieces with the flat ends, by doing this the cucumber releases the bitter liquid.
- Cut both cucumbers in half and then each half in quarters lengthwise, remove the seeds by sliding the knife in the direction opposite to you, do the same to all the cucumber and then slice into chunks discarding the seeds.
- Wash and slice the celery, if using the outermost stalks you might want to peel it as this may have fibrous skin.
- Wash the mint, dill and celery leaves (optional), if using the celery leaves choose the most lighter in colour. Save some of the herbs for garnish.
- In a blender jar mix together the cucumber chunks, celery, herbs (mint, dill and celery leaves), garlic clove, shallot, salt and pepper to taste, yoghurt, lemon juice and 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, blend until smooth, then transfer to a container and store in the fridge for at least 8 hours.
- Before serving, prepare the marinated red onions, finely chop or slice the half red onion and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, salt and apple cider vinegar, keep aside for half hour.
- When ready to serve the soup, taste it and adjust seasoning if required, then divide the chilled cucumber mint dill soup in bowls and top with the crumbled feta cheese, scatter some of the marinated red onions, add some fresh herb leaves and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Optionally you can serve with a thin slice of toasted bread.